I was on the hunt for a healthy French toast casserole recipe since we were having guests spend the night. A breakfast casserole is great because it can be prepared ahead of time and I could actually enjoy my time with them in the morning. This recipe stood out right away because it was covered with fresh fruit and needed to be refrigerated overnight. A perfect summer breakfast recipe…or really any time of year!
Peach French Toast Casserole
- 1 large whole-wheat baguette (about 8 ounces)
- 8 whole eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups sliced peaches, fresh or frozen (I also added some strawberries and blueberries)
- 1/2 lemon, juiced about 1 1/2 tablespoons
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cut entire baguette into half inch slice and place at the bottom of a greased 9×13 casserole dish. Whisk 8 eggs, milk and vanilla into a medium-sized bowl. Pour the egg mixture over the bread. Toss fruit with lemon juice and 1 tablespoon of brown sugar. Layer the fruit over the bread and egg mixture. Sprinkle the remaining two tablespoons of brown sugar over the top and sprinkle cinnamon. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.
Top with maple syrup or yogurt.