Snow Again!? That seems to be a common theme this ENTIRE winter. The perfect dish to warm ya up is a hearty bowl of hot chili!
Chili is so versatile and most of the staples should be stocked in your pantry. This time I even added a couple of ingredients and the brown sugar sweetened it up to entice my children. If you don’t need to worry about young palates, then feel free to add some heat with hot peppers. So get creative and fill up a big cup of chili to warm up this winter!
Hearty Homemade Chili
(double for a crowd)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 5 slices of turkey bacon, diced
- 1 lb. of ground beef
- 1 – 15 ounce can dark red kidney beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 – 15 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 – 15 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 – 6 ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
garnish with shredded cheddar cheese, chopped green onions, diced onion, etc.
In a dutch oven, heat the olive oil. Sautee the onion, green pepper and garlic until softened. Add the bacon until it becomes crispy. Add the ground beef until browned and cooked through.
Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for at least 15 minutes.
Garnish with suggested toppings and serve piping hot in a bowl or cup.